2

Monday, July 2, 2012

Lampshade Redo

This is one of my favorite crystal lamps. Who am I kidding, they are all my favorites but its the only lamp I have with a square shade which should make it easy to update. Curves in general are trickier to deal with, just ask a quilter. This is my first attempt to to recover a shade but how bad could it turn out.
I've had this green floral fabric for quite a while. I bought a sample size for another project but decided not to use it. It's such a pretty fabric and I knew eventually I'd find a use for it and, well, here it is. 
To begin I carefully removed the trim around the top and bottom edge of the shade so I could reattach them later.
I then measured the width of the shade and cut strips of fabric using the shade as a template. I wanted to have a good balance of the floral pattern and the green background so two sides features a lot of the pattern and two sides feature a lot of the back ground.
Next I used spray adhesive to adhere the fabric to the shade. The top and bottom would be coverd by the original trim so I made sure not to go past the edge.
My original idea was to reuse the white trim but I didn't like how it looked with the fabric. I then thought to use green or gray ribbon and I still didn't like it. Then I thought about using the fabric to make the trim. I cut 1" strips, folded the edges in and ironed them flat. I then cut them the length of the shade and hot glued them on. I like this much better because it doesn't break up the pattern.
 
 Next I reattached the original white trim around the top and bottom and cut off any loose threads. Here is the final shade.
I am very happy with how it turned out. Not too bad for my first lampshade redo. I think I'm ready to tackle a round one and I already have something in mind.
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS