2

Monday, July 23, 2012

Bathroom Update - Mable Sink

My contractor and I finally got around to the sink. I was so excited about finding this beautiful marble counter top at the Habitat Restore for just $35. I never realized it would be so difficult to modify and install it. 
The top was 6 feet wide so we first had to cut it down making sure the sink was in the right spot because the opening was not centered. 

I purchased a standard size Kohler sink but when I got it home it was much too big. I shopped every home improvement store, including plumbing stores and no one had it smaller. I finally found it through Amazon.com. It was the same model as the first purchase except it was the next size down. 

Our next obstacle was the backsplash. The top came with a backsplash that was tapered on the ends and higher in the middle which was meant to sit behind the faucet. When we cut the backsplash to to fit the length and width of the sink it looked horrible because it was not straight and even. I asked my contractor if we could take what was left of the top and cut two 4" strips of marble and polish the edges. 

                                       



                                              
He cut the new backsplash, did a dry fit and it looked so much better because it was a much cleaner detailThe last step was to install the polished chrome Pfister wideset faucet, caulk the edges and now my $35 marble counter is finished. 


  


I wanted a real stone counter top for my bathroom but did not think I could afford it. I am so glad (and lucky) I decided to stop by Habitat that day. I think it looks so pretty and I could not be happier with it. 

Next up, the custom mirror. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS