2

Monday, September 17, 2012

Bathroom Reveal

It's finally complete. I have dragged this out long enough and I am ready to show off my bathroom. I had to work with a limited budget but believed if I can get the basics right I can always build from there.  Here is a before picture...

...and here is the after.

     

This was a difficult project because I had a limited budget and as we got into it I realized it  wasn't large enough. To compensate I had to sacrifice on some things but was fortunate to find a few bargins. We stripped the shower down to the studs and found mold. There was no insulation or water barrier and the bottom half of the wall was not tile, but paneling. It was disgusting and a disaster. The replacement of the shower took up more of my resources than I wanted but it absolutely had to be done. We put up a moisture barrier, insulated and replaced the drywall with cement board. No more water damage for me.  
 

For the shower we installed 6x6 ceramic tile in a brick pattern with a glass/stainless steel/marble accent strip. Next we took up the old black tile floor and replaced it with a 12 x 12 porcelain tile floor. We painted the walls gray, added a semi-frameless door from Arizona Shower doors and installed a new Kohler toilet. 

The big hurdle was what to do with the vanity. I couldn't decide if I should replace the entire vanity or just the top. My money started to run low so I decided to keep the vanity.  

Thankfully I got super lucky when I found this beautiful 6 ft marble counter top for $35 at the Habitat Restore.

We cut it down to fit the existing vanity and it turned out perfect. 

We used the leftover marble to create a backsplash, installed a Kohler sink and finished with a beautiful chrome faucet and mirror which was made from a picture frame.                                          

I added new towel bars, a light over the vanity, hung a little artwork and called this project complete.

This bathroom is in a neutral gray and anything will go  with the tile I selected. It would be easy for me or anyone else to change the look or feel of the room with new towels and a can of paint. There are still a few things I want to do, such as replace the door and I need to have a new electrical outlet installed both of which will be done soon enough. 

I've wanted to redo my bathroom for years because I knew it was in bad shape. When my contractor, and my friend, said we are all done I squealed with joy. No really, ask him, I squealed. 

That's all she wrote. Now on to the next project.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Barbara! This is gorgeous! I bet you are absolutely loving it.

My Home in the Heights said...

I am indeed. I decided cave-like bathrooms are no fun. Light and bright is the ticket for me. Thanks Lindsey.

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS