2

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Painting The White Door White


"Say What"? That is probably what you are thinking but let me explain. The cabinet doors for my bathroom had these silly little square pieces of Corian in the corners. The color matched the decor but when I removed the Corian countertop it didn't make sense to keep the chips any more so I removed them. I always thought they looked like a cheesy afterthought anyway. Unfortunately they didn't peel off easily and since the door is not wood it just took the top layer of the paper off. 





No biggie and nothing that a little drywall compound can't fix. 


To start I took the doors of the hinges and laid them flat so they would be easier to work with. I removed all the hardware and cleaned the doors with a little soap and water. 


Next I used a scraper to spread the compound in the corners and smoothed it out. It wasn't necessary to do the whole door. If you want you can also use spackle. The idea is to make it an even surface otherwise no matter how much you paint you are always going to see where the paper peeled.  


 After letting it dry for 24 hours I sanded it down so it was nice and even.


 Whether you are working with drywall compound or spackle, let it dry thoroughly before trying to sand it. After sanding and before painting use a cloth or an old sock to wipe off all the dust.


Next I sprayed the doors with white spray primer and two coats of white paint letting the paint dry thoroughly between coats. One tip: Let the doors dry for a full day so it has time to harden. The paint may be dry to the touch but if you pick up the door it will leave fingerprints and then it's back to the drawing board. 



Last step is to replace the hardware. The pulls on these cabinet doors are made of nickel and are  very heavy. I thought about replacing them with something more plain and streamlined but for now these are more than fine. 


That's all there was to it. This looks so much better don't you think.


To be honest I was a little concerned after I ripped off the Corian chips. I thought about replacing the doors but this worked out fine and I'm very happy with how they turned out. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS