2

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Laundry Room Curtains: Fail

This weekend I finally got around to making new curtains for my laundry room. I bought this fabric from Joann's Fabrics at least a year ago and it inspired me to paint my the walls yellow. 
Yellow is a hard color to choose because it sometimes looks too peachy, or too lemony or too tan. 
There are two different shades of yellow in the fabric which made it easier to choose the right paint color. The only problem is that I didn't buy enough. I have been trying to find it again ever since but have been unsuccessful. 

Making curtains requires a lot of hemming so since I was short on fabric I decided to make a 1/2" double fold hem on all sides. Also, instead of stitching down the folds I used fusible web which just makes it go a little faster. To hang them I  used these curtain clips I bought on clearance a couple of years ago. I've never used them but knew eventually an application would present itself. By using the clips instead of making a rod pocket I use less fabric. 
Before I started I washed and ironed the fabric. Washing takes out all the starchy stiffness from the fabric and gives it a much better hand or feel. I cut the fabric in half for each panel. Next I ironed a 1/2" double fold hem on the two long sides and then along the two short sides. 
You will have a lot of extra fabric in the corners that might overlap on the edge so it's a good idea to cut it on an angle to minimize the bulk. 

I then added the fusible web tape inside the hem, removed the protective tape and ironed it again. I always use a scrap piece of fabric to iron though when I am using fusible web in case some of the adhesive is sticking out. It's no fun cleaning glue off an iron. Next I attached the hanging clips to the curtains. Each package had seven hooks. I folded the fabric so that I would have five folds plus one clip for each end. Here are the final curtains. 
Why do I say fail? Let's see. Where do I start. First, I am no longer happy with the fabric. I don't think it's the fabric as much as it is the fabric with the yellow walls. It's too retro and the contrast bothers me. Second, there is a heating vent that I can't get around to hang the rod brackets. 
                                        
When I finally got the brackets installed, I had to hang them too low so now you can see the top of the blinds. 
Not cool. Lastly, at the end of the day I just did not have enough fabric. Since I can't get this pattern anymore I will have to try something else. I'm not giving up on this fabric. I'll find another use for it. So it's curtains for the curtains and back to the drawing board. I think I know what I want to do, but I've never tried it before and am feeling a little unsure. Nothing beats a failure but a try so I will give something new a shot. 

B.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS