2

Friday, June 8, 2012

Art Quilts

A Triumph of Tulips

I am a big fan of quilts, particularly art quilts. Art quilters use contemporary quilting techniques to create quilts that are more often hung on the wall than used as a bed covering as with traditional quilts. I've met a few quilters over the years and have always admired their talent. They are true artists. There is a lot of skill involved in creating a quilt from selecting and preparing the fabric, choosing the design, laying it out, cutting and sewing or fusing the pieces together and finishing or quilting the piece. It must take patience and a lot of love for quilters to do what they do. I know because I attempted quilting in the past and failed miserably. 
Leaf-Light
I find art quilts that have a lot of bright colors are the most appealing. There is a quilt artist named Melody Johnson who creates stunning art quilts. Melody likes to dye her own fabric and uses a fusing technique to piece her art quilts together. I am not a quilter so I won't go into detail about her techniques but if you are interested in art quilting you should visit her website at Melody Johnson: Art Quilts. Here are a few more of her quilts that I thought were beautiful. 

Matchsticks

Moonstruck
Cruciform-Series Green
Under a Silken Moon

Sunflowers



1 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

Thank you Barbara, for such a lovely post. I am blushing!
Melody Johnson

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS