2

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Eames

I’ve never been into labels. I love what I love and it doesn’t matter if I bought it at Nordstorm, Macy's, Target or a thrift store. There is, however, one designer piece that would be a dream come true if I were ever able to own one: an Eames lounge chair. 
Architectural Digest
                               
When I was studying interior space planning, way back in the day, we studied more than just interior design, space planning, and finishes, we also studied furniture design. We were introduced to various architects and publications like Interior Design and Architectural Digest seemed more like textbooks than magazines. When you scanned through the pages for inspiration you would often find someone sitting in a Eames Lounge chair. 
Elle Decor
                                     
It is a piece of art with it’s sculpted wood frame, slightly curved back and wide seat, but the way it is shaped and leans back it also says, come…sit down, lean back, and relax. It says yes, I'm a gorgeous leather chair but by all means put your feet up. It's what I'm made for. 
Elle Decor
The Eames lounge chair is proof positive that you don’t have to sacrifice comfort for design. 
Herman Miller
 Certainly there are many other classic chairs. There is the Knoll Wassily chair by Marcel Breuer with it's taut leather seat and back,

the Barcelona chair by Mies van der Rohe with it's distinctive grid tufted seat and back and chrome X-frame,  

The Lc-2 chair by Le Corbusier 


and the Arne Jacobsen chair looks like so much fun to sit in. 
But the Eames lounge chair is the one that's always captivated me. 




 If you were a fan of Frazier, then you probably remember seeing him put his feet up on this beauty. It's in stark contrast to the tattered barcalounger his dad lived in. 

Genuine Eames lounge chairs don't come cheap but you can buy a use or knock off if you really want. Not me. It’s like buying a fake Rolex. It may be beautiful to look at but you’ll never be able to convince yourself that it is the real deal. Besides, even the knock offs aren't cheap. If I've waited this long to have one, I can wait longer. Good things come to those who wait.






B.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS