2

Monday, April 16, 2012

Psychedelic Tack Board

I love pretty fabric and will often buy a small piece even if I'm not sure what to do with it. Eventually I either make a pillow or maybe a fabric covered tack board. Tack boards are an easy project that you can make in an afternoon. They can be any size, with almost any fabric and can be framed or unframed. I prefer mine framed. To make this project you will need a piece of ceiling tile, spray adhesive, fabric, glue, a picture hanging kit and a picture frame. I have several oil paintings and have wanted to have them re-framed with simpler less ornate frames. I don't want to get rid of the old frames so I'll use one to frame my tack boardThis was a dark gold frame so to freshen it up I sprayed it with a coat of primer followed by two coats of Ivory spray paint. 
To make the tack board measure the opening of the frame and cut the ceiling tile to fit just inside the frame. Ceiling tile can be found in different styles and sizes at any home improvement store. You can also use cork or foam core, but I prefer ceiling tile because it's inexpensive and very easy to cut. If you choose, you can also add a piece of batting to the board before adding the fabric. It's not necessary for this, but it will give the board some dimension. It looks really nice if you are going to add ribbon to the board. For this project we'll skip the batting.
I then cut a piece of fabric two inches wider than the opening of the frame. I always wash and iron fabric before cutting or sewing it. It makes it easier to work with and gives it a better feel. Next, I sprayed the tile with adhesive and centered it on the backside of the fabric.  
 I then stretched the fabric across the back to make sure the top did not have wrinkles and hot glued it. I like to use hot glue because it dries fast and I know the fabric won’t shift while I'm pulling it taut. 
 Last I put the board into the back of the frame and used screws to hold it in place. To hang it I attached picture hangers and wire appropriate to the size and weight of your board.
  Here is the final tack board. 
 
B.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS