2

Monday, April 9, 2012

Textured White Vases


I’ve seen a number of pretty, textured white vases around the Internet like these from West Elm
West Elm

It looked like an easy craft project I could do myself and I was right. Enter Puffy paint. I know I’m a little late to the dance but I love this stuff. It's versatile, fun and so easy to use. It comes in bottles with a small applicator tip so you can make designs with it on many surfaces like fabric and glass. Totally Eileen used it to re-purpose these glass bottles. 

Totally Eileen

And these are from Design Sponge
Design Sponge

To be honest, to make designs on glass you can use puffy paint or even glue since when it dries it will leave a raised mark that will show up well under paint. Kate at Centsational Girl used glue to get this look. 

Centsational Girl
I still want to try the puffy paint. It may be because I 
just like saying it. Such a fun word. Anyway, I don’t 
often buy things that are new for a project like this in 
case I screw it up. I decided to use a small glass vase 
with baby's breath that was sitting on top of my hutch collecting dust. The stuff most people use as a filler, I was using as a floral arrangement. Sad. I tried it out first on a sheet of paper to see what it would do. I’m glad I did because it took longer to dry than I expected. Before I began I washed the vase with soap and water then used a piece of sandpaper to rough it up a bit. It’s always good to give a glassy surface some texture as it makes the paint adhere better. 







Next I drew my image on a sheet of 8 x 10 paper and taped it to the inside so it wouldn’t move. Then I traced the image with the puffy paint shifting the paper around as needed until I got the desired look. The puffy paint stayed tacky and soft so I let it dry for several days before touching it. Next I took it outside and painted a coat of primer followed by 3 coats of white spray paint. I let it dry for a couple of days before touching. Depending on the temperature, it may take a while to truly dry and you don’t want fingerprints. When it’s dry, you will have a beautiful, one of a kind vase that you made yourself. 


I love it so much I’ve got to do it again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS