2

Monday, January 20, 2014

Thrift Store Tables

I have been on the hunt for end tables for my living room the longest time. As always the question was should I buy new or used. I decided to buy used but for the life of me could not find the right tables. I shop thrift stores a lot but often it is difficult to find two matching tables. I didn't want the end tables to match the coffee table, but if there are too many different styles of tables it can make everything look cheap. My living room is small and I feel balance is important in a small space. This means I need matching tables and had to be patient. After several months of patience, I couldn't wait any more so I started to shop, and shop, and shop. Nothing. Then I went on line and I saw these options. 
Overstock.com
Wayfair
I liked the size and color and all the detail made them interesting. I was almost ready to buy but thought I'd make one more trip to the thrift store. I was hoping to get lucky and finally I was. I found this matching set of solid wood end tables by Lane Furniture for $40 a piece. This is a little more than I would want to pay for thrift store finds, but I could see these were really good tables.  I talked to the manager to see if I could get a better deal and he agreed to sell them to me for $30 each.






They were a little beat up and had this ugly yellow top but I loved the scalloped details on the base, the fluted legs and the turned feet. The only thing I did not like was the size. I preferred about 18" to 20" square or round and about 22" high. These were 24" high and 22" square so before I bought I weighed the pros and cons. Pros: Solid wood, well built, nice details with two shelves and $30.  Cons: They are too tall, too wide and I don't like the color especially the top. These are solid wood end tables for what is likely to be a fraction of their original price so pros win. 
Now I have to decide what to do with them. They look like tables you'd find in a banker's office and that is definitely not the look I am going for. I can leave them as is, paint them or white wash but what ever it is I do, that top has got to go.

Stay tuned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS