2

Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day


Photo courtsey of Ms Annie Chambers, ocpamidewest
I am a long time bowler and try to go to at least one tournament a year. This year we went to the TNBA tournament in Indianapolis, IN. Long story short, I bowled great averaging about 180 per game, have nothing good to say about the Days Inn hotel we stayed at but hanging out with my teammates was fun as usual. My doubles partner and I were in second place thanks to her 226 scratch game. Way to go Lady B!!. We hope that holds up but if not, we still had a good showing. We also had our share of mishaps such as me only reserving a room for only one night so I had to crash on a friends bed. My teammate lost his keys so we had to turn the bowling alley upside down looking for them only to find them in his bowling bag. ARGHHH!!! My favorite story was of one gent who set something frozen from the hotel mini fridge on top of a wad of cash and it got soaked from the water. He decided to fast track the drying process by putting it in the microwave. Bad idea because it didn't take long for the money to catch fire. Thankfully he only scorched a few bucks but he has a great story to tell his kids on what NOT to put in a microwave oven. So that was my weekend. I had a great time but am glad to be home.

While I was gone I DVR'd one of my favorite cable news shows where the host was discussing a story bout the origin of Memorial Day. I learned that it began after the civil war by freed slaves in Charleston, South Carolina who used a city racetrack that had been converted into a prison and re-buried union soldiers who had been dumped there in an unmarked grave. On May 1, 1865 freed blacks and some whites came to the burial site to lay flowers and commemorate the dead. On May 5, 1868, the day was called Decoration Day and was soon celebrated nationwide. Eventually it was moved to May 30th and in 1862 the name was unofficially changed to Memorial Day. In 1967 the name became official. 

It occurred to me how we take people who serve in the armed services for granted. I have a good friend that served in the Vietnam war. I used to ask him about his days in Vietnam and although he shares some stories  I can tell he holds a lot back. After awhile I stopped asking because I realized there may be things he doesn't want to discuss and I should respect his privacy. Today he counsels vets coming home from the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. I think about how the lives of these young men and women will be shaped long after the wars have ended as I know my friend's life was shaped by his time in Vietnam 

I have often thought about sending something to the troops just to let them know that little ole me is thinking of them but I always felt that I had nothing important to offer. As I was writing this I realized how wrong it is to think that way. When all the small things are added together they can make up something big. I cannot make recommendations on how to give back. I don't even know how but I know where to start. Tomorrow I will call my friend to say thanks and let him know how I appreciate all he does. I will also ask him what I can do in my own small way to give back and then follow through. It may not be a lot but it's a start.

Happy Memorial Day to all the troops who have served and are serving. 
Thank you for all you've done.

Dedicated to my pops, Army PFC Felton Thomas

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS