2

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

DIY Napkins and Napkin Rings

For the holidays it's fun to set a pretty table complete with good china, pretty napkins and rings and a lovely table cloth. In our house we mainly use the kitchen table for meals and only use the dinning room for holidays and parties. I don't like to spend a lot of money on items that are seldom used so I thought why buy when they are so easy to make. These napkin rings and napkins require no sewing and can be made mostly with what you probably already own. For this easy project all you need are:

1 empty paper towel or wrapping paper roll 
1 1/4 yard of fabric
Burlap or burlap roll
6 buttons
Twine, raffia or yarn
Hot glue gun
I had this cool herringbone pattern in my fabric stash and thought about using it. I wanted something that had a little more color and decided to use this blue fabric instead. The burlap roll and raffia I found at JoAnn's.
Last year I bought several packages of mismatch buttons. My hope was that there would be enough duplicates to use for a project. I wanted to make six napkin rings and fortunately I had enough of these pretty iridescent shell buttons.
 .  
To make the napkin rings, measure and cut the paper towel roll into 6 equal pieces and cut 6 strips of the burlap tape that are 7" long. Using your hot glue gun, attach one end of the burlap tape to the roll. Next wrap the burlap around the roll and secure it by adding a few more drops of glue. 
To add some color  wrap the raffia or yarn a few times around the burlap tube. If the holes on your buttons are too small to thread the raffia or yarn you can wrap it around the tube first and then glue the button on top.                                                                                                                               
For the fringe napkins I cut the fabric into six 12” squares. To make the fringe I pulled about 1/4" width of thread. It you want it a little wider you can pull more but do it a thread at a time. Remember, once you pull it off you can't put it back so start out with 1/4". 
Lastly, fold the napkin and insert it into the napkin ring. That's all there is to it and yes it is that easy. 
If you have DIY napkins or napkin rings I would love to see them and hope you will share your ideas.

Happy holidays and enjoy your day.


B.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS