2

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Christmas Craft - Fabric Wrapped Balls


Ever order fabric on line only to find out when you get it that it's not what you thought it was. I bought this pretty, shimmery, aqua blue fabric to make a pillow cover. When I opened the package I realized that what I ordered was a knit jersey fabric and totally not suitable for my project. It might have helped if I read the fiber content but what can I say, I was blinded by the pretty blue color. Now I have this very pretty but very stretchy aqua blue fabric that I had absolutely no idea what to do with. Then I remembered seeing on Pinterest a craft project for fabric wrapped balls and thought I could finally use that fabric. 

It is super simple to make the balls. All you need is fabric, some ribbon or strips of fabric and a Styrofoam or craft ball. If you prefer, you can even use an old Christmas ornament or tennis ball. I had a few Styrofoam balls I recently found at the thrift store for only $1.45. I simply cut a piece of my stretchy fabric large enough to wrap around the ball leaving enough leftover to gather at the top. Then I took a piece of ribbon and tied it around the top to secure it.

Since I had some left over herringbone ribbon I also cut it into strips and wrapped it around the ball and secured it using a hot glue gun. You can see full instructions for wrapping the balls in fabric strips at the Better Homes and Gardens link for Fabric Scrap Balls. If you don't have a glue gun you can also use pins to secure the fabric strips or ribbon. There are really easy instructions to follow at This Silly Girls Life blog. 
When I finished wrapping the balls I placed them in this lovely aqua and white glass dish I purchased from HomeGoods earlier this year. To give it a little added sparkle I added in a few gleaming silver bells and some painted white gourds I had on hand. Such a pretty and festive setting for my coffee table. 
I put the bowl on a piece of blue fabric I bought at the thrift store a few weeks ago. I think it cost $1 or $2.
This was a very easy and quick project.  My head is now spinning thinking of other possible projects using this technique. I can't wait to do it again.

Happy Holidays!!

B.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS