2

Monday, October 15, 2012

Nightstand Redo Completed

Last week I started re-doing a couple of nightstands that I picked up at the Habitat Restore. I got them for my bedroom because what I had was way too small. I took a couple of old tables and replaced them, but they were too big. At the risk of sounding like Mama Bear, these were just right. One problem, they were badly damaged from cigarette marks. It was nothing that I knew a few coats of paint wouldn't fix. Here is the before picture...
and after....
Remember the damaged top..
and with a little paint....
The hardware was kind of scuzzy so I cleaned them up with a little tarnish remover. Here is the before...
 ....and after.
The one battle I had was deciding whether to keep or replace the hardware. My original thought was to replace them so before I primed I filled in all the holes with wood filler. As I was searching for new hardware I realized a few things. First, each nightstand had six handles so I would have to buy either 6 or 12 new handles which would cost as much as the stands them selves. Second, when I started looking at used, everything I looked at was similar to what was already there. Last, I have a bench and picture frame that are similar to the gold on the nightstand hardware so they already fit in well with the decor of the room. I wasn't planning on redoing my bedroom, just spiffing it up a bit. This means minimal cash. For all of these reasons I decided to stick with the original hardware for now.
Ultimately I want glass, acrylic or crystal handles. I want them at the right price so I am willing to wait.

On to the next project.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS