2

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thriftstore Thursday 10.4.12

My thrift store finds. The only problem with buying pieces from a thrift store is that it is difficult to find a pair of anything. This means that your assortment of one of a kind pieces can easily end up looking like junk. One way to fix this is to spray paint several pieces all the same color and create a grouping. I bought several ceramic vases in different sizes for $1 to $2 a piece. To unify them I painted them all white or ivory and created a vignette.

  
 
This was a pink water pitcher I found for about $6. Not just pink, but shocking, bright, Pepto Bismol pink. A quick spray of white paint and it went from shocking to stylish.  

 
These brassy metal bowls were a couple of bucks a piece.   
I really wanted silver so I changed them up with a coat of silver metallic spray paint. Quick tip: Not all metallic spray paints are equal. Some are just sparkly gray paint and others look more like metal.
I tried a few brands and colors and the one that was brightest and shiniest was Rustoleum's Bright Coat Metallic spray paint in Chrome.  

This table has a glass vase, brass bowl and wooden tray all of which I spray painted to give it a new look. The lesson is if something isn't exactly as you want it, change it.
I chose to paint everything white or silver because I want to change the color palette in my living room. Right now everything is shades of rust and brown which is fitting for the season, but I am ready to go in a different direction with something cooler. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS