2

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Thriftstore Finds - Bamboo

One of my favorite thrift store finds was this gorgeous bamboo console table. It measures 4' 3" wide x 12" deep and was manufactured by the Brandt company in Hagerstown, MD. It has such great detail like the rich color of the wood and bamboo, the three paneled doors, of course the painted leaves on the front and sides and it even has a shelf inside for lots of extra storage. It's in excellent shape except for the top which just  needs a good sanding and re-staining. For $25 it think it was a steal. 



The other piece I found this year was this wonderful bamboo mirror. Ahh yes. Insert deep sigh here. The bamboo mirror. There is a long story behind this mirror but I promise to keep it brief. Let me explain. ARRRGGHHH!!!!
I spotted this mirror at the Salvation Army thrift store and it was marked, get this, $6.95. One look and I said to myself, this baby is mine. I'd been looking for one and definitely did not want to pay top dollar. This was a gift from heaven. Thank you heaven. I also added to my cart a beautiful crystal decanter, a silver sequined box and piece of gray wool for $2. When I got to the register the cashier said that someone had changed the price on the mirror so she couldn't sell it at the price marked and proceeded to rip off the tag. Well that was just completely unacceptable so I huffed and puffed and demanded to speak to the manager. The manger came out, looked over the mirror and again stated that someone changed the price. So now I am not only mad, but I am offended because it sounded as if they were accusing me of switching the tags. Me. Me?? How dare they question my integrity. I then threw a big ole hissy fit, said I don't want any of this stuff and proceeded to walk out. I went home angry, insulted and just a little hurt. I go there every week and they should know I, Miss Honest Every Moment of Every Day, would never do such a thing.  


As I calmed down I began to realize that they were right and the mirror had to be the wrong price. It was very heavy measuring 24x36 and I would guess that it really should be more like $15-20 bucks. I was also disappointed that I didn't get the other pieces that I really wanted. Instead of having a tantrum I should have asked them if they would give me a discount but my feelings were bruised since they insinuated I altered the price. 


A week goes by and I still can't get that mirror off my mind. I've always wanted a bamboo mirror and this was nearly perfect. I decided to go back and get the mirror. I was too ashamed to go in myself and opted to send my beloved son. Sure enough he found and bought the mirror but now we have a new problem. It is written on the back that the price is $22 and the tag reads to me $22. When they rang it up they rang it at $28. Dang it dang it dang it. I can't win. So at this point I ask myself should I go back and tell them to give me my $6 or do I chalk it up to a $6 donation. I decided it's a $6 donation that I am happy to donate. It is after all not just a retail store, it's the Salvation Army. 


By the middle of the day that store got the better of me. At the end of the day I was the better for it. Not only do I have my mirror but I donated to the Salvation Army twice in one day. Once when I bought the mirror and second when I donated $6.

Still love thrifting. Always will.

B.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 MY HOME IN THE HEIGHTS